Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Traveling with a Diabetic Pet

I know traveling is stressful enough, but throw in a diabetic pet, and it raises stress to a whole new level. My next blog post will be more about how we do it (what happens if you're driving and it's dinner/insulin time?, etc), but I thought for this post, I could fill you in on everything we brought with us on our recent vacation.

For Buzz's diabetes:
  • Glucometer & an extra battery
  • Test strips (a new pack of 50)
  • Lancets (a whole bunch just in case)
  • Triple antibiotic ointment
  • Syringes (we brought 3 packs of 10, but we really only needed 20 syringes - for 10 days)
  • New bottle of insulin
  • New bag of Greenies pill pockets
  • Medicine (benadryl & famotidine)
  • Karo syrup (and a travel container for walks)
For the beach:
  • Sunscreen (Vets Best Sun Relief Spray)
  • 2 beach umbrellas
  • 2 towels for the pups to lay on
  • Disposable doggie doo-doo bags
  • Lots and lots of water
  • Bandanas (they were great to get wet and put around the pups necks)
  • Small amount of food
For the house:
  • Lots and lots of toys to keep the pups busy (mostly from Barking Deals)
  • Carpet cleaner and paper towels
  • Treats (this, this, and these)
  • Food & water bowls
  • Crates & crate beds
  • Extra towels
  • Food
  • Blanket that smelled like home - I threw it on our bed and the pups would fall asleep on it every night
For traveling:
  • Seat cover
  • Crate beds to sleep on
  • A bag that contained: food, water, bowls, and a few toys

I know this seems like a lot, but traveling with dogs is pretty much like traveling with kids. You have to be prepared in case something goes drastically wrong (I programmed emergency vet numbers for the Outer Banks in my phone and called them prior to our trip to make sure they could take Buzz if something went wrong - this may be a little overboard, but my dogs are my life). 

Anyways - I hope this helps you with your summer traveling plans! :)

3 comments:

  1. You are very prepared dog mom!! Buzz is very lucky! Always better to be overprepared!!

    Kirby's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl - Kirby is a very lucky dog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for such great info! I would want to know more regarding dogs chews. I do love pet doggies and I think it is great to have an adoption for dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Share your paw love!